Monday, February 7, 2011

My Smiling Moon

The cold morning air stung the rosy skin at the tip of my nose as I stood waiting to catch a train. My eyes glanced about at people, gloves covering cold hands, big brown eyes shadowed by a beanie pulled over the eyebrows and ears, the smoky roof tops and misty air... Then a lunar glow drew my attention to a friend of years gone by. That old Cheshire cat's smile was right where I left it... a glossy half moon tucked neatly into the black sky. His only accompaniment-two brightly sparkling stars.


Some nights and early mornings before sunrise my eyes meet the sky to be greeted by his signature smile, surrounded by an array of twinkling gems. And I can still hear that old Cheshire Cat sing:

"Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gymble in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogroves
and the mome wraths outgrabe"

(Lewis Carol, The looking Glass and what Alice found there)

the  cheshire cat

No comments:

Post a Comment