Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Defining Normality


To me, the social concept of normality is nothing but a beguiled truth.When you take a step back, you'll notice that some of the things we have been taught to perceive as passable are nothing but collective, agreeable ideas that have been set in ages past and built on the foundations of proclaimed civilization.
During my years at film school, we were lectured on various theories and conventions; frameworks of mass /audience manipulation. One such theory remains prevalent and unmasked in the realms of day to day reality to my trained eye- The Hypodermic Needle Theory- This theory explains how the mass media can influence a very large group of people directly by ‘injecting’ them with appropriate messages designed to trigger a desired response.

I believe societal conventions operate in the same way. The platform of influence may change from decade to century to millennium but the venomous syringe remains the prime weapon of mass destruction.
Has a lulled state of complacency become the worlds day to day mental existence? How much longer will we continue to facilitate the crippling of our freedom to form independent value systems and thoughts? During my brief 23 years on this earth I have learned that the only way to truly LIVE is to remain true to my inner convictions. I have unlearned the fear of questioning. At the end of the day, one can only live out that which resonates inner truth.

Galatians 2:20 (The Message)

It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God. Christ lives in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment